How Professional Carpet Cleaning Can Reduce Allergies
Allergy season is here again! For those of us who suffer from seasonal allergies, springtime brings stuffy noses, itchy eyes, and lots of sneezing. But did you know that your carpets could be making your allergy symptoms even worse? It’s true! All those pollen particles and other allergens get trapped deep down in your carpet fibres, just waiting to cause chaos for your immune system.
Luckily, there are some simple steps you can take to fight back against allergy-causing carpet nasties. Read on to learn how professional carpet cleaning can banish allergens and give you some much-needed relief!
Why Carpets Are Allergy Havens
Carpets are the perfect places for all sorts of allergens to gather:
- Pollen – Those tiny particles from trees, grass, and weeds get carried inside on shoes and blown in through open windows. Before you know it, your carpet in high traffic area looks like a pollen picnic party.
- Dust mites – These microscopic creatures feed on the dead skin cells that fall off our bodies every day. Lovely. And carpets give them the perfect place to congregate and multiply.
- Mold and mildew – Any damp areas of your carpet are breeding grounds for mold. Ever have any leaks or flooding? They will take full advantage!
- Pet dander – Furry friends leave behind dander (aka skin flakes) that burrows deep into carpet fibers.
Normal vacuuming just can’t extract all these nasty allergens from deep down in the carpets. They get stuck to the fibers and build up over time.
Professional Cleaning Methods for Allergy Relief
So how can you get carpets fresh and allergen-free? Hire professional carpet cleaners! They have industrial-strength methods for deep cleaning carpets. Here are your options:
Steam cleaning uses hot water and detergent to loosen particles. The pros:
- Super hot temperatures kill house mites, mold, bacteria.
- Flushing action removes common allergens from fibers.
- Thorough extraction of dirty water so flooring dry quickly with no residues left.
Dry cleaning uses absorbent compounds without water. The pros:
- No dampness left behind to grow mold.
- Cleans without harsh chemicals.
- Safe for delicate carpets.
Many experts recommend hot water extraction as the most effective method for allergy and asthma sufferers because the high heat kills off biological allergens like dust mites.
A warning about renting carpet cleaners from your local hardware store, they often don’t have enough suction power to extract all the water. You may be left with a damp carpet ripening into mold central! Stick with the pros.
How Often Should You Get Carpet Cleaning?
For allergy sufferers:
- Once or twice a year – moderate allergies
- Three to four times a year – severe allergies
For households without allergies:
- Once a year – general maintenance
- As needed for stain removal
In between pro cleanings, be sure to vacuum all carpets at least once a week. If allergic conditions are really bad, kick it up to two to three times per week. Using a vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter can help remove allergens from the air.
Other Carpet Tips for Allergy Reduction
- Consider allergy friendly carpet materials like low VOC or natural fibers.
- Deal with stains ASAP to keep mold at bay.
- Keep humidity level between 30-50% at home.
- Address any moisture issues immediately to prevent mold growth.
- Clean other soft surfaces like couches, beds, curtains frequently.
- Run an air purifier to catch airborne allergens.
- Limit stuffed toys, pillows, and dust catchers in bedrooms.
Breathe Easier with Cleaner Carpets
Now that you know how professional carpet cleaning service can suck up those nasty allergens, you can tackle allergy season head-on!
Give your carpets a good steam carpet cleaning or dry cleaning regularly to keep seasonal and year-round allergic reactions under control.
Say goodbye to allergy flare ups and hello to healthy, clean carpets and easier breathing!